Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Separate Peace - Chapter 4

"He minded, despised the possibility that I might be the head of the school" (52).
This quote stood out to me because it sheds light on a whole different issue in Gene and Phineas' friendship. For the first few chapters, it has been made very clear that Gene is a bit jealous of his friend's mischievous ways and as a reader, I felt kind of bad for him. Then after reading this and realizing that the feeling of envy was not only coming from one side of the relationship, I have to admit I was happy. It gives hope to a better relationship because then Gene does not have to always feel down on himself. And Gene and Finny were somehow even.

Will the two ever admit to each other how they really feel?
Will Phineas' careless attitude (especially towards school) have an effect on Gene and his schoolwork?

No comments: