Sunday, November 30, 2008

ASP - Ch. 8

"I didn't know why he had chosen me, why it was only me that he could show the most humbling sides of his handicap" (109).

This is probably one of the few moments that I agree with Gene on this. After all that Gene has deliberately put Phineas through, I have no idea why Finny would continue being so close to Gene. However, when I look at the situation through Finny's eyes, I understand. A little earlier, Brinker offered to help Finny in the shower but he rejected and it became evident why. He is only vulnerable around Gene in his condition considering the fact that they're best friends and that is what the second part of the quote refers to. Ultimately, he refused to appear weak in front of anyone excluding Gene. I also like this quote because it exemplifies Finny's loyalty.

Did Gene tell Finny he was thinking about enlisting only to lure the present conversation to a different direction or was he actually considering it?

No comments: