Monday, November 24, 2008

ASP - CH. 6

"I hit him hard across the face. I didn't know why for an instant; it was almost as though I were maimed" (79).

This quote is of interest of me because it is reminiscent of Gene's experience with causing Finny to fall. I think another theme in this book that will continue to occur is Gene and his control. (He seems to lose it sometimes). Back at the end of chapter 4 when Gene jounced the limb, the author purposely emphasized the "I, my, I". The 'my' that Gene used showed that he did not bend his knees therefore possessing no control over his impulsive actions. And the why? Gene could not answer which brings us back to this quote where Gene just punches the kid in the face and unlike he did earlier, he actually admitted that he had no idea why he did it. Not only do I think this can be seen as a theme but I believe it is foreshadowing of consequences Gene will face for his thoughtless actions.

Pgs 79-80, he justifies his choice to punch Quackenbush by saying he was defending Finny. What does he mean?

It seems like Gene is becoming more fearless ever since the accident. I'm wondering if he punched that kid because of what Finny said to him at the end of chapter 5, "You aren't going to start living by the rules, are you?" ?

No comments: