Monday, November 17, 2008

"A Separate Peace" - CHAPTER 3

"I always jumped. Otherwise I would have lost face with Phineas, and that would have been unthinkable.'
For me, this quote offers a different aspect of Finny and Gene's relationship through the eyes of Gene. We read and understood that Gene was a little jealous of his friend's talents. But this quote showed that Gene truly respected Finny and cared a great deal what Finny thought of him. There were certain traits Finny possessed that Gene admired and because he could never be Phineas, he did everything Finny would expect from him and more. He admired him so much that he was afraid of the fact that Finny would think of him as weak.

Question:
I wonder if Gene will ever express how he feels?
It seems as if Gene feels obliged to perform certain actions to please Finny but why? I feel like he should just be himself.

No comments: