Monday, January 12, 2009

Othello - 4.2 - 4.3

"She is honest,/Lay down my soul at stake. If you think other,/Remove your thought. It doth abuse your bosom./If any wretch have put this in your head,/Let heaven requite it with the serpent's curse,/For if she be not honest ... The purest of their wives/Is foul as slander" (Emilia 4.2.12-19)

Emilia is the contrasting character to her husband Iago. While Iago continues to poison Othello's mind with false information, Emilia attempts to make him believe that Desdemona is faithful. I've taken notice to Emilia & I believe she is a very loyal person. Even if she was aware of Iago's plan, I believe she would still stick up for Desdemona. However, I do think her advice to Othello is a downfall for her. She is kind of a hindrance to Iago's plan & I think Iago will become enraged when he finds out.

Why doesn't Iago try & convince Othello not to kill Desdemona?

chid: to express disapproval of; scold; reproach

No comments: