Sunday, January 11, 2009

Othello - 4.1

"Ay, let her rot, and perish, and be damned/tonight; for she shall not live. No, my heart is turned/to stone; I strike it, and it hurts my hand. O, the/world hath not a sweeter creature! She might lie by/an emperor's side and command him tasks" (Othello 4.1.183-187).

Primarily, Othello is portrayed as this level-headed guy but as Iago continues to provoke him, his darker side begins to evolve. However, it is natural for anyone to act as he did after constantly being lead to believe your spouse is cheating on you. The fact that he is an honorable man is still supported by this quote because it took a while before he finally snapped. There is just so much one can take and I dont blame Othello at all. I think things are only about to get worse from here. This is just a sign of the terrible things to come.

Is Iago bothered by the fact that Othello wants Desdemona dead also?

No comments: