Sunday, March 22, 2009

Native Son - Pg. 3-30

"'Every time I get to thinking about me being black and they being white, me being here, and they being there, I feel like something awful's going to happen to me'" (20).

This is foreshadowing. I already believed something bad was going to happen to Bigger just by reading the first couple of pages. His acknowledgement to it just supports my claim. He's living in a society where he's ostracized and treated differently because of his skin - how could one live under those circumstances. Then, the one place you would think one would feel comfortable at is just as horrible for Bigger. At home, his whole family treats him horribly and makes him feel almost responsible for their living conditions. Its natural for one to act out when they're stuck in a situation like this. So I can already sense disaster for Bigger.

Is Mr. Dalton white or black?

No comments: