Monday, December 8, 2008

ASP - Ch. 13

"I never developed an intense level of hatred for the enemy ... my war ended before I ever put on a uniform; I was on active duty all my time at school; I killed my enemy there"(204).

I absolutely love this quote, because it shows the definite maturity in Gene. On the previous page, he states that he's ready for war because Finny "absorbed" the hatred in him. And I actually believe Finny absorbed it, because as Gene grew to become a better person, Finny decreased to a bitter person. Finny would not have survived in combat. Gene's biggest enemy was himself and he defeated it prior to entering the war. This is why he was on active duty at school; he had been fighting this uncontrollable and tempered side of him. And because he was so fortunate to have Finny as his best friend, he was able to be free of any hate.

Had Finny's death not occurred, would this still be the same outcome?

No comments: