Friday, December 5, 2008

ASP - Ch. 12

"I ... found a blanket and gave it to Phil Latham. He carefully wrapped it around Phineas. I would have liked very much to have done that myself; it would have meant a lot to me" (179).

I think I know why wrapping the blanket around Phineas would mean so much to Gene. Wrapping a blanket around someone as injured as Finny is giving them support & comfort; something Gene is not well in accomplishing. After Finny's fatal fall, all he needed was an optimistic friend letting him know everything was going to be okay. Instead, Gene chose the wrong time to tell Finny the truth which just made the situation worse than it was. I don't think Gene understood (til now) how much of Finny's world became shattered and ultimately he was not a great friend. So wrapping this blanket around Finny would be the first time that Gene actually comforted Finny in a time of distress.

What sparked Finny's breaking point?

No comments: